Seeds Conference 2014 – Willie George on Change
Photo Credit- Andy Barron
A few days ago I had the fortunate opportunity to head to Tulsa, Ok, for the Seeds Conference at Church on the Move. I attended the conference last year and it blew me away. We learned so much as a team, we walked away with many new ideas about how to reach people, and we walked away with a lot of practical things to implement at our church. This year, they raised the bar yet again. I learned so much, and I’m still going through the countless pages of notes.
Here’s a few of my notes from the first session with Willie George, lead pastor at Church on the Move. A quick note about Church on the Move: They were a large and successful church, and then had a burden to reach the younger generation. They are one of the few large churches that successfully navigated a complete church makeover in style and focus. Here’s the notes:
- The hardest thing for a leader to do is to give up a strategy that has been so successful before.
- Don’t resist change.
- The most important decisions you make are usually misunderstood at first.
- Don’t be hurt when people question your motives- obey God
- When we change with Gods timing- you get to be apart of the future
- No leader understands a younger generation like he understands his own
- Don’t play the God card except for on special occasions when you KNOW – your team listens to God too.
- Let your team members express opposing views or concerns that you may not have thought about
- If you permit them to do it- back them like it’s your own
- Disagreements are not allowed outside the meeting room
- Investigate it thoroughly
- Plan it carefully
- Preach it convincingly
- Implement it confidently
- When something wonderful runs it’s course- something else is ahead